Sunday, October 10, 2010

Not a Second Thought

It has been interesting, the things I have heard since General Conference last week. I always look so forward to General Conference. Waking up, eating a fantastic breakfast together (which doesn't ever happen on Sunday due to early church meetings), and watching Conference, hearing the wonderful instruction and thoughts of our dear church leaders. This past Conference, when I heard Boyd K. Packer's talk, I can honsetly say I didn't think too much about it. Not a second thought. It was a great talk. I, being a member my entire life, was not at all shocked at the words he spoke. Then, later on in the week Greg informed me of some opposition to his words out in Utah. This saddened me, but I again didn't dwell on it too long. THEN, while talking to my wonderful sister-in-law tonight, America (who really is so wonderful-I am thankful all the time that my brother married such a great woman) she asked me if there had been any backlash in our ward because of that certain talk. I answered, "No, I haven't heard a single thing." She then went on to tell me how sad she was that there were a few people in her ward that were apparently shocked by what Elder Packer said. Huh? She went on to say that a few of them were so torn up about it that they were questioning the church and "couldn't even read their scriptures" because of their personal turmoil. I was completely surprised by this. Can I just say, I DON'T GET IT?! I don't mean to be insensitive at all, but if you are a church member is this really shocking? If you have been through the temple, how can you be surprised by this? As we talked, America told me that those she spoke with honestly thought the church would eventually change their opinion on this subject. Oh, wow! She went on to say that one of the women who was saying this is a YW leader and is now unsure of what to think. Some are even beginning to read anti-mormon websites. It breaks my heart that people are questioning our church leaders. I always look so forward to hearing them speak to us and I KNOW that what they say is so true. As a YW leader myself (and especially a mother of a young child that will have to endure far more in this world than I did), I cannot begin to think about what would happen if we as leaders to the youth would all begin to doubt and falter in our testimonies. Now is the time to hold onto your testimony as tight as you can! Hold on for dear life! My heart hurts right now for those that do not know that this IS the true church. And especially for those that once knew and are letting their testimonies slip through their fingers! Now is the time to stand and be courageous against the things of this world. What does the future hold for us and for the youth of this Church if we don't? If we let the world dictate what we do and what we think all because we don't want to offend others? The Church will NOT ever change it's teachings, and we shouldn't want it to change.

7 comments:

nanamoo said...

I liked this...thumbs up!

Heather said...

Amen sister! Your words brought tears to my eyes. I agree with every single thing you said, and it breaks my heart as well that there are people doubting our church leaders. I love all mankind, and what they choose to do with their lives' is their decision, but lets not kid ourselves and think that the Lord is not sad about it. He loves all of His children, but that doesn't mean he can change His laws. He has been unchanging with this, all the way back to biblical times. Why are any of us so surprised that our church leaders have come out and talked about it?

Thanks for your words Stephanie!

Sarah said...

Seriously, so glad you wrote a post on this! I have been hearing a lot of uproar myself and it makes me so sad to think that people who think they sustain the prophets and apostles would second guess relevation straight from God to us through His servants! Boggles my mind! Conference was wonderful and has helped strengthen my testimony. Thanks for the uplifting post Stephanie!

Julie Perry said...

I, like you, listened to conference, heard Elder Packer's talk and didnt think much of it. By that I mean that the words he spoke on the subject didn't shock me. A friend of mine was also shocked at the reaction people are having. I am amazed that people would second guess a prophet! (I wonder how many people sustained him as a prophet, seer and revelator less than 36 hours before that talk was given and yet are having a hard time with the words he spoke!)

Krissy said...

Heather told me about this post... And hear, hear, my dear! I really don't understand the mentality that says, "The Lord's servants only speak the truth when they agree with me." Sometimes we all have to be humble enough to accept the Lord's counsel even when it may go against our personal opinions or convictions. Lucky for me, I agree with Pres. Packer, so it's not an issue from my end. (Whew!) But I pray that those that are struggling with this counsel can soften their hearts.

mattandhonor said...

I agree with you-what's up! I just went back and re-read what Pres.Packer said, and I don't get it either. He didn't say anything that hasn't already been said. It's interesting how things happen. I think that sometimes people are looking for ways to "get out" even if they don't know it and they latch on to anything that will help them open the door. Truth is truth and it will never change!

America said...

Amen again! I love you too Steph, and I completely agree...now is definitely the time to stand tall and hold tight to that testimony. It IS true!